Thursday, August 28, 2014

Helmet Head

Today Brit was fitted with his new DOC Band from Cranial Tecnologies. (http://www.cranialtech.com)
You know me well & will not be the least bit surprised to know that I cried when I first saw it, even as a pediatric nurse it has somewhat difficult for me to work through the idea of a medical device for my son yet, I realize that we are incredibly lucky that his diagnosis is so easily correctable. 
While we were waiting for our fitting, a mom at the clinic graciously gave us wonderful advice based on her son's short time with his band. Thankfully the entire DOC Band experience has been encouraging once the finances for the band were "figured out".
https://www.gofundme.com/brits-doc-band
As the band was fitted today Brit stuck his finger in his ear trying to decide what he thought about the whole thing & then immediately carried on with the toys he had been playing with. He didn't care one bit about wearing the band. Afterwards, since he was rockin' the band without any difficulty, we made a quick run to the grocery store & I got my first taste of stares & comments, I am fiercly protective over this sweet little boy, the gawking is so sad-it's only a helmet!
Brit will likely wear his band for 4 months, we will have biweekly appointments to monitor his progress & shave out the interior of the band to encourage changes in the skull growth pattern.

We have been so humbled & blessed the the generosity of our wonderful family, friends, & a few strangers too. Thank you is not enough to describe our gratitude with the money donated to purchase Brit's DOC Band, in TWO days you surpassed our goal, I wish there was a video of our reactions to the immediate response to our request for help. Thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart for providing for my boy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment