Wednesday, October 5, 2011

DIY: Dresser Revamp

I finally found two matching tall dressers after searching for two years. These were on Craigslist for $100 each, and were removed from a fancy and historic hotel in Downtown Dallas. One of the dressers is missing one drawer pull, I am currently on the hunt for one on ebay. Here is the before:

As usual, I painted the dressers in ivory and finished them off with polyurethane.
The pulls were a problem: besides being brass(eww), they are two different sizes, neither are the standard size so, I had to keep them. I wanted to give them an aged look, I came up with a technique that is similar to faux mercury glass minus the glass. First I sprayed the pulls with water in a small spray bottle, then I sprayed them with a light coat of pewter metallic and gold metallic spray paint, i would immediately spritz with water again and repeat the process until the bronze finish was completely covered. 


After allowing them to dry, I touched/barely rubbed some of the air bubbles with a fine grit sand paper to give an "aged" appearance. Finally, I applied several coats of a clear polurethane spray.

Wah-lah!

We would like to mount the tv onto the wall, the dressers will stay side by side even if the tv goes up. Ignore the missing pull, I will find a matching one if it kills me!

No comments:

Post a Comment