Sunday, October 2, 2011

DIY: Dining Room Table into Coffee Table

This summer our family rented a cabin in the Texas Hill Country & floated the Guadalupe River for a couple of days. In the living room of the cabin the owners had cut down a giant round dining table to coffee table height, and I was in love. I began eyeballing my living room table, which I fancy, but decided that it wasn't ideal for our layout, it allowed very little room to walk around to sit down on the sofa.(Fifi was obviously NOT camera ready)

I searched Craigslist for weeks for the right table and never found one as large as my inspiration piece but discovered this antique oak table for $60! I started painting it before I realized I didn't have a before photo-oops!

Chris cut down the pedestal portion to coffee table height & replaced the old nuts and bolts to screw the pedestal and table top together.

I am painting all of my furniture in the same technique to unite the mis-matching pieces. I use an ivory colored Olympic flat paint from Lowes, seal it with Minwax water based polyurethane, and distress a few edges with fine grit sandpaper. Since the hubs was then out of town, I assembled the table on my own, and  had to quickly verify that I was current on my tetanus injection, darn those jagged-rusty-antique metal pieces!

This is so much better for our small living room, it really opened up the room without deleting table space. Chris really likes it too, we enjoyed getting to do this project together. DIY=romance in our book.

No comments:

Post a Comment